Saturday, February 7, 2015

C4T #1: Buck Institute for Education - Experts & NewBIEs

Authenticity to Self: Engaging Students’ Identities in Project Based Learning

Sam Seidel's blog was about introducing an authenticity step to PBL's eight steps. His step is called Keep It Real. Keep It Real is about students being able to incorporate things into PBL that relate more to  their everyday life. He posts and example project of high school students using the Keep It Real step and it blew my mind. Isaiah the student in the video sings a song about his life and how he grew up, he uses facts and credited information to inform the viewer about a child's growth and development as well as telling about how he grew up and what it was like for him.

My comment to Sam Siedel:

Hey Sam, I’m Johanna Logan currently a student majoring in Education at the University of South Alabama. I just wanted to take a moment to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. As a Education student I am learning more and more about PBL and the more I learn the more I’ve come to believe in it. I love the authenticity your Keep It Real additon brings to PBL. Seeing the tears in Isaiah’s face let me know how real this experience was for him.
I also enjoyed the three questions you left for teacher to ask their selves when incorporating PBL.
Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading more.
Here is a link to my blog if you are ever interested in a good read.
BLOG

Picture of a teacher sitting at a desk

Viewpoint on PBL: What Students Say

This blog post was written by Miles, Gaby, Ethan, Lauren, Madison, and Aiden from Novi Community Schools District, in Michigan. In this post the six children give their viewpoints on PBL. One of the main reasons these six kids enjoyed PBL was because they were "secretly learning". They enjoyed what they were learning so much that they didn't realize they were learning. Another major reason why these kids enjoy PBL is because they were given tips about what they were going to be learning about but actually got to learn abut it on their own, and this sparked an anticipation in the kids. they actually began to look forward to learning.

My comment to Miles, Gaby, Ethan, Lauren, Madison, and Aiden from Novi Community Schools District, in Michigan:

To Miles, Gaby, Ethan, Lauren, Madison, and Aiden.
I'm Johanna Logan, I'm a student studying Elementary Education at the University of South Alabama. I wanted to take a moment and let you all know how much I enjoyed reading your blog. I am currently learning about PBL so that I can use it in my classroom one day. I myself LOVE all PBL has to offer. It excites me to know how much you enjoy PBL. I am hoping, and I think you are too, that PBL begins to be incoporated in every classroom.
Thank you for sharing! I look forward to hearing more about your thoughts on PBL.
Here is a link to blog if you find yourself wanting to read.
MY BLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment